Mulayam avenges 2007 defeat by Mayawati in UP
New Delhi: In May, 2007 Mayawati`s BSP romped
home to a majority by winning 206 seats and five years later
Mulayam Singh Yadav avenged the defeat with SP winning as many
seats and leading in another 18.
Five years ago, BSP won largely riding on anti-incumbency
wave against the SP, which was accused of encouraging `goonda
SP this time has credited its performance to the
anti-incumbency wave against the BSP rule, mired in cases of
corruption including the much talked about rural health scam.
Most of the top leaders of the ruling party have lost the
electoral battle, prominent among them being Assembly Speaker
One of the few ministers who have won is Swami Prasad
Maurya, who is also the state unit chief of BSP.
If SP is able to win the remaining seats and take its
tally to 223 as project till late evening, it will break BJP`s
record of 1991 assembly elections of then undivided UP (which
included Uttarakhand) when it won 221 of the 425 seats that
While in 2007 BSP had won 206 seats, this time its tally
was 66 with leads in 14 other seats. Even if it wins all these
14 seats, the figure will come to 80 -- still 126 less than
its previous performance.
In the last assembly polls, SP had won 97 seats.
During campaigning in the seven phase elections, the SP
had consistently targeted the "misrule" of BSP.
Observers feel that the record overall 60 per cent polling
in all the phases helped SP defeat BSP.
SP`s performance is also an indicator that Muslims
preferred SP to Congress which used the issue of minority
sub-quota to attract the minority community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?