Mulayam eager on tie-up with Cong: Rahul
Moradabad/Aligarh: Star campaigner Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday said the Samajwadi Party was keen on forging an alliance with the Congress for the Uttar Pradesh assembly poll but his party had rejected it.
"(SP president) Mulayam Singh Yadav was eager for an electoral tie-up with the Congress which was rejected by my party," he told a rally in Moradabad.
"Our alliance is only with the people," the Gandhi scion said. At an election rally in Aligarh, the Congress general secretary accused Mulayam of making promises to Muslims on job quota which he could not fulfil.
"Mulayam is making tall promises to the Muslim community which he knows well that he will never be able to fulfil," he said.
Rahul said Mulayam had been the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on three occasions and his record on this issue speaks for itself.
"If the SP supremo is sincere about giving quota to backward Muslims, then he should try to emulate the track record of Congress-ruled states including Kerala and Andhra Pradesh. But he will never do it, that I can assure you," the Congress leader said.
He said his party`s commitment on the upliftment of the underprivileged sections, especially Muslims, could be gauged from its conviction to set up the Sachar Committee which has brought to light the plight of Muslims.
"Our objective is to fulfil the recommendations of the Sachar Committee which we are already doing in Congress-ruled states," Rahul said.
"I have not come here to make promises which I cannot fulfil. I have tasks to be done and until these goals are achieved, I will not leave the poor, the underprivileged and the farmers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad