Mulayam eager on tie-up with Cong: Rahul
Moradabad/Aligarh: Star campaigner Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday said the Samajwadi Party was keen on forging an alliance with the Congress for the Uttar Pradesh assembly poll but his party had rejected it.
"(SP president) Mulayam Singh Yadav was eager for an electoral tie-up with the Congress which was rejected by my party," he told a rally in Moradabad.
"Our alliance is only with the people," the Gandhi scion said. At an election rally in Aligarh, the Congress general secretary accused Mulayam of making promises to Muslims on job quota which he could not fulfil.
"Mulayam is making tall promises to the Muslim community which he knows well that he will never be able to fulfil," he said.
Rahul said Mulayam had been the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on three occasions and his record on this issue speaks for itself.
"If the SP supremo is sincere about giving quota to backward Muslims, then he should try to emulate the track record of Congress-ruled states including Kerala and Andhra Pradesh. But he will never do it, that I can assure you," the Congress leader said.
He said his party`s commitment on the upliftment of the underprivileged sections, especially Muslims, could be gauged from its conviction to set up the Sachar Committee which has brought to light the plight of Muslims.
"Our objective is to fulfil the recommendations of the Sachar Committee which we are already doing in Congress-ruled states," Rahul said.
"I have not come here to make promises which I cannot fulfil. I have tasks to be done and until these goals are achieved, I will not leave the poor, the underprivileged and the farmers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla