Mullah Omar should be `worried`: US general
Washington: A top US general on Thursday said Taliban leader Mullah Omar should be "worried" after US forces killed Osama bin Laden, predicting the raid would damage the Afghan insurgency`s morale.
Major General Richard Mills, who recently finished his tour commanding Marines in southern Afghanistan, said the assault on bin Laden`s compound in Pakistan demonstrated "that we don`t leave our missions”.
"Once we`ve targeted you, we`re going to maintain our focus on you until the mission`s accomplished," he told reporters.
"If I was Mullah Omar I would certainly be worried. It shows the Americans are focused," the general said.
Omar is the one-eyed spiritual leader of the insurgency who presided over the 1996-2001 Taliban regime in Kabul, which was toppled in a US invasion for its support of al Qaeda.
Mills said the death of bin Laden would undermine the morale of the insurgents fighting the Kabul government while giving a "tremendous" boost to troops in the NATO-led force.
"I think that has to have a psychological impact on the leadership of the insurgency that`s caused the trouble in Afghanistan," he said.
He also said the demise of bin Laden would have a tactical effect in the war, jeopardising continued financial support to the Taliban from al Qaeda militants in neighbouring Pakistan
A trove of hard drives and computer files retrieved from bin Laden`s compound will help US forces target those providing material support to the Taliban, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends