Mumbai blasts: Two hospitals that cared
New Delhi: At a time when even many hospitals do not hesitate in charging money for treating the poorest of the poor, two Mumbai-based private hospitals have set an example by not charging any money from the victims of the recent serial blasts.
As per a newspaper report, Friday, Saifee and Harkisondas hospitals, which treated victims of the blast at Opera House, have not charged the patients or the government for the treatment they gave to the blast victims.
The representatives of both hospitals informed the state authorities that they won’t accept even a single rupee for treating July 13 serial blasts victims.
This was confirmed by State Health Minister Suresh Shetty, who was quoted as saying, “Hospital authorities have expressly informed us that they do not want any money from us.”
Two hospitals came to limelight when over 100 hundred patients were brought in for treatment by the relief and rescue teams from the Opera House blast site. Both hospitals treated over 100 patients as outpatients and about 40 were admitted. Surgeries to remove shrapnel, orthopaedic surgeries involving amputations, burn injuries, among many other complex procedures were performed.
Initially, the accounting staff at Saifee hospital charged about four blast victims up to Rs25,000.
However, the money taken from them was soon returned after the senior administrators realized the mistake.
“That was a mistake. We returned the money when we learned of it. I gave my staff a thorough dressing-down for taking money from those victims,” Dr SJ Bapai, Assistant Director, Public Relations and Government Administration, Saifee hospital was quoted as saying.
Bapai further informed that the hospital authorities also told the collector that about their decision to provide free treatment to the victims.
Similarly, Medical director Dr PM Bhujang of the Harkisondas Nurrotumdas hospital also revealed that they were clearly instructed by Nita Ambani to provide free treatment to blast victims.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Is your Indian passport among those to be declared invalid from November 25, 2015?