Mumbai civic body mulls allowing helipads on private buildings
Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has proposed amendments in the Development Control (DC) rules to allow private buildings to set up helipads following the directives of Urban Development Department.
Business tycoon Anil Ambani`s earlier proposal of setting
up a helipad at `Sea Wind`, his Cuffe Parade residence, was
not approved in the absence of provisions for construction of
helipads on private buildings.
According to the proposed amendments, the helipad can be
built on rooftop terrace or cantilever structure and should be
as per the directives of Civil Aviation Ministry and Director
General of Civil Aviation.
Permission is also required from the Maharashtra
Pollution Control Board and Environment Department for setting
up a helipad.
A structural audit of the building will be mandatory to
determine its strength. Also, the helipad area should be
fireproof and have necessary fire fighting measures, civic
However, there will be no provision to fill fuel in the
chopper and the helipad can be used only for landing and
taking off. The helipad should be at a height of 4.5 meters
above the ground and not result in any kind of air pollution.
Civic officials will invite suggestions and objections
from citizens and after which the BMC will prepare a draft and
sent it to the State Government for final nod.
Several applications seeking permission to construct
helipads on private buildings, including those from
industrialist Mukesh Ambani and builder Vicky Oberoi, are
pending with the BMC, the civic officials said.
Permission for the construction of a helipad depends
on the height, safety features and structural stability of the
building on which it is proposed to be built, according to the
A building situated in a congested neighbourhood cannot
have a helipad. The convenience of people staying or working
around the building, is an important factor to be considered,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued