Mumbai cops assure safe release of ‘My Name is Khan’
Mumbai: With the Shiv Sena continuing to be ambiguous about its opposition to Shah Rukh Khan and the release of his latest flick ‘My Name Is Khan’ in Mumbai, film producer and director Karan Johar Tuesday met the city police chief seeking security.
Karan along with representatives of multiplex owners met Mumbai Police Commissioner D Shivanandan amidst reports of vanadalism at cinemas where the SRK film is due for release on February 12.
The whole controversy over the release of the film erupted after Shah Rukh Khan refused to apologise to the Shiv Sena for criticising the exclusion of Pakistani players from the IPL auction.
Sena termed SRK’s stand as anti-national and demanded that he apologise for backing Pak players. But SRK at least, initially, refused to budge, forcing Sena to threaten to block the release of his latest movie.
Coming out of the meeting, a visibly satisfied Karan said, “The Police Commissioner has assured us all that security would be provided at all the cinemas where the movie is due for release.”
“Everything is on board, we are releasing the film on February 12 and advances opened yesterday,” Karan added.
Karan also made it clear that he is happy with the assurances given by the police.
Interestingly, today’s meeting comes in the backdrop of reports that the film’s distributor Shringar Films wrote a letter to Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, saying it will not release `My Name is Khan`, unless he clears it.
And, later Shah Rukh also appeared to be toeing a softer line and claimed that he had no issues with the Shiv Sena or its chief Bal Thackeray.
Even the Shiv Sena has softened its stand with Bal Thackeray declaring that they would not disturb the release of `My Name is Khan`.
However, the film`s producers and distributors seem to be in no mood to take a chance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery