Mumbai fake encounter: FIR registered against 17 cops
Mumbai: The city police has registered FIR against 17 cops in connection with the alleged fake encounter of Navi Mumbai resident Ramnarayan Gupta following a Bombay High Court directive.
The FIR, lodged with the suburban Versova police station, names 17 police officers as accused including dismissed inspector Pradeep Sharma and senior inspector of MIDC police station, Pradeep Suryavanshi.
"We have lodged the complaint on the basis of Gupta`s brother Ramprasad Gupta and will conduct investigation in the case," DCP K M M Prasanna said, adding that the police
officials have been booked on charges of abduction and murder.
The Bombay High Court had last week directed Prasanna to lodge a complaint and head the probe in the case.
The High Court directive was passed in a petition filed by Ramprasad alleging that his brother was killed in a staged encounter.
Ramnarayan was killed on November 11, 2006 at Versova by police officials who claimed that he was a member of Chhota Rajan gang.
The police had then claimed that Ramnarayan shot at them after which they shot back in retaliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list