Mumbai fake encounter: FIR registered against 17 cops
Mumbai: The city police has registered FIR against 17 cops in connection with the alleged fake encounter of Navi Mumbai resident Ramnarayan Gupta following a Bombay High Court directive.
The FIR, lodged with the suburban Versova police station, names 17 police officers as accused including dismissed inspector Pradeep Sharma and senior inspector of MIDC police station, Pradeep Suryavanshi.
"We have lodged the complaint on the basis of Gupta`s brother Ramprasad Gupta and will conduct investigation in the case," DCP K M M Prasanna said, adding that the police
officials have been booked on charges of abduction and murder.
The Bombay High Court had last week directed Prasanna to lodge a complaint and head the probe in the case.
The High Court directive was passed in a petition filed by Ramprasad alleging that his brother was killed in a staged encounter.
Ramnarayan was killed on November 11, 2006 at Versova by police officials who claimed that he was a member of Chhota Rajan gang.
The police had then claimed that Ramnarayan shot at them after which they shot back in retaliation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'