Mumbai fake encounter: FIR registered against 17 cops
Mumbai: The city police has registered FIR against 17 cops in connection with the alleged fake encounter of Navi Mumbai resident Ramnarayan Gupta following a Bombay High Court directive.
The FIR, lodged with the suburban Versova police station, names 17 police officers as accused including dismissed inspector Pradeep Sharma and senior inspector of MIDC police station, Pradeep Suryavanshi.
"We have lodged the complaint on the basis of Gupta`s brother Ramprasad Gupta and will conduct investigation in the case," DCP K M M Prasanna said, adding that the police
officials have been booked on charges of abduction and murder.
The Bombay High Court had last week directed Prasanna to lodge a complaint and head the probe in the case.
The High Court directive was passed in a petition filed by Ramprasad alleging that his brother was killed in a staged encounter.
Ramnarayan was killed on November 11, 2006 at Versova by police officials who claimed that he was a member of Chhota Rajan gang.
The police had then claimed that Ramnarayan shot at them after which they shot back in retaliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam