Mumbai Marathon raises Rs 9.16 crore for charity
Mumbai: The seventh Standard Chartered
Mumbai Marathon, held on January 17, has raised funds for
charity to the tune of Rs 9.16 crore, nearly nine times the
money generated in its inaugural edition.
A total of 109 NGOs were associated in the charity drive
run concurrently with the main event, it was announced at a
function here last night.
"This response to the charity drive has surpassed the
collection of all previous editions but more money should be
raised in future," said Vivek Singh of event organisers Procam
Akansha Foundation emerged the best pledge-amount raising
NGO with a figure in excess of Rs 52 lakh.
Champion batsman Sachin Tendulkar`s 12-year-old daughter
Sara emerged as the highest dream maker and pledge raiser
among women, raising Rs 5.88 lakh for `Apnalaya`. She was
honoured at the function with other big fund-raisers.
Among the dream champions were industrialists Anand
Mahindra and author Shobhaa De.
The Corporate Challenge had 164 teams running from 102
participating firms and raised over Rs 4.60 lakh, it was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued