Mumbai Marathon raises Rs 9.16 crore for charity
Mumbai: The seventh Standard Chartered
Mumbai Marathon, held on January 17, has raised funds for
charity to the tune of Rs 9.16 crore, nearly nine times the
money generated in its inaugural edition.
A total of 109 NGOs were associated in the charity drive
run concurrently with the main event, it was announced at a
function here last night.
"This response to the charity drive has surpassed the
collection of all previous editions but more money should be
raised in future," said Vivek Singh of event organisers Procam
Akansha Foundation emerged the best pledge-amount raising
NGO with a figure in excess of Rs 52 lakh.
Champion batsman Sachin Tendulkar`s 12-year-old daughter
Sara emerged as the highest dream maker and pledge raiser
among women, raising Rs 5.88 lakh for `Apnalaya`. She was
honoured at the function with other big fund-raisers.
Among the dream champions were industrialists Anand
Mahindra and author Shobhaa De.
The Corporate Challenge had 164 teams running from 102
participating firms and raised over Rs 4.60 lakh, it was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs