Mumbai survive Pandey scare, lift Ranji Trophy
Mysore: Defending champions Mumbai survived Manish Pandey`s blazing 144-run knock and defeated Karnataka by a mere six runs in a thrilling final to lift their 39th Ranji Trophy Super League title here today.
Overnight 135 for three, Karnataka gave a mighty scare to Mumbai as they very nearly chased down the mammoth 338-run target set by Wasim Jaffer`s men.
Ajit Agarkar was the wrecker-in-chief for the defending champions with a five-wicket haul as Karnataka`s batting, except for Pandey, collapsed under pressure.
Pandey combined for a 209-run fourth-wicket partnership with Ganesh Satish, who was the second highest scorer for the team with a patient 215-ball 75.
Pandey`s knock, that came off just 151 balls, included 18 fours and a six.
Once the right-hander departed, caught by Mumbai skipper Jaffer off Iqbal Abdulla, Karnataka`s innings fell apart with the team losing the next six wickets for 76 runs.
Although the lower half of the line up came up with small contributions, the hosts paid for the top-order`s flopshow and ultimately fell short by six runs in the cliffhanger.
While Pandey, who amassed a whopping 882 runs in the season, carted the cherry around the park with impunity, Satish batted with circumspection.
Satish, who laboured hard for 318 minutes, made 75 before being adjudged leg before wicket to Dhawal Kulkarni.
Stuart Binny (17), Sunil Joshi (16) and R Vinay Kumar (15) batted with resolve to take Karnataka closer to the target.
But quick strikes by Kulkarni and Ajit Agarkar (5 for 81) ensured that Mumbai emerged triumphant in the end.
This closely contested final would remembered for the outstanding performances of Vinayak Samant (67), Avishkar Salvi (5 for 31), Daval Kulkarni (87 and 3 for 80), Ajit Agarkar (5 for 81), Manish Pandey (144), Abhimanyu Mithun (3 for 56 and 6 for 71) and R Vinay Kumar (4 for 61 and 3 for 78).
The sporting wicket was prepared by a tennis court curator from Mysore.
Mumbai: 233 and 234.
Karnataka: 130 and 331 all out (Manish Pandey 144, Ganesh Satish 75, Ajit Agarkar 5/81).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report