Munde prevented from going to riot-hit Sangli-Miraj
Pune/Mumbai: Senior BJP leader Gopinath
Munde was on Monday night detained, for the second time in a day, at
the hill station of Lonavala when he was proceeding to
violence-hit Sangli-Miraj, party leaders said.
Earlier in the day, the former state home minister was
not allowed by authorities to board a flight to Sangli,
western Maharashtra, when he went to Mumbai airport.
He then proceeded to Pune en route Sangli by road, but
was stopped by police at Lonavala, about 65 km from Pune, they
said, adding the BJP leader was currently put at a hotel
Police cane-charged BJP workers at Mumbai airport when
they were demonstrating against denial of permission to the
party General Secretary to visit Sangli district via Kolhapur.
BJP activists resorted to `rasta-roko` on Mumbai-Pune
highway following Munde`s detention.
The Lonavala police, when contacted, however said they
had no information on Munde`s detention.
Munde later spoke from Lonavala on telephone and
said he had been detained by police, who had asked him not to
proceed to Miraj-Sangli in view of the prohibitory order in
force in that region.
Communal clashes had broken out at Miraj town and then
at Sangli city last week and they continued to be under curfew
since Saturday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi