Munde prevented from going to violence-hit Sangli district
Mumbai: Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde was
on Monday detained at the airport here to prevent him from leaving
for violence-hit Sangli district to address a rally, prompting
protests by party workers who were baton charged by the
Deputy Police Commissioner Brijesh Singh said Munde was
stopped from going to the area following an order issued by
the Kolhapur District Collector.
Munde`s address at Miraj could have aggravated the tense
situation in the district, officials said.
The BJP general secretary was scheduled to visit Miraj in
Sangli district where curfew is in place following communal
violence during Ganesh festival. He was to take a private
airlines flight to Kolhapur from where he was scheduled to go
by road to Miraj.
Munde was released soon after his detention, police said.
About 100 to 150 BJP workers held demonstration and tried
to barge into the airport after their leader was stopped
"In order to control the situation, police lathi-charged
the crowd protesting outside the airport. Munde`s boarding
pass was also seized," the Deputy Police Commissioner said.
"Minister of State for Home, Nitin Raut was stopped from
flying to Kolhapur. Munde and Raut were stopped following an
order issued by the Kolhapur District Collector," he said.
Munde was to address a meeting in connection with a
recent riot at Miraj in the district, BJP sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation