Muniyappa, Atwal gear up for Avantha Masters
Gurgaon: Relishing the prospect of playing a
European and Asian Tour co-sanctioned event on home turf, C
Muniyappa and Arjun Atwal are all geared up for a title
assault at the USD 2.1 million Avantha Masters here next week.
Indian Open champion Muniyappa, and Atwal, a former Asian
Tour number one, will spearhead the local challenge alongside
two-time Asian number one Jeev Milkha Singh and Jyoti Randhawa
at the DLF Golf and Country Club in the inaugural event also
sanctioned by the Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI).
Muniyappa, who earned one rupee a day as a caddie during
his youth, is looking forward to returning to the venue which
launched him to fame.
"It`ll be nice to get back to DLF as I won there last
year. I`m looking forward to it," he said.
"I played a couple of big events last year and even
though I missed the cut in China (HSBC Champions) and
Singapore (Barclays Singapore Open ), I feel that I`m getting
better because I`m seeing and playing with bigger players and
that has given me more confidence playing on the Asian Tour,"
The US-based Atwal, who won the Order of Merit in 2003,
is hoping to display the kind of form which helped him clinch
seven Asian Tour titles. His last victory was at the 2008
Maybank Malaysian Open.
Atwal yearns to return to the winners` circle, he is also
aware of the challenges that lie ahead.
"With the way the Asian Tour has grown in the last few
years, the prize money has increased and more tournaments are
being played, it`s only a matter of time before more guys
breakthrough and win big tournaments (internationally)," said
All eyes will also be on India`s rising stars Gaganjeet
Bhullar, the 2009 Indonesia President Invitational champion
and Anirban Lahiri, who is still hunting for his maiden Asian
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das