Murray crashes out in Rotterdam first round
Rotterdam: Andy Murray won three games in 12 minutes before a slow fade at the ATP Rotterdam Open which left the Australian Open finalist a first-round loser to Marcos Baghdatis.
The Cypriot turned the tables in dramatic fashion for a 6-4, 6-1 upset of the second seed who is still nursing wounds from his second consecutive title-match defeat in Melbourne.
Murray also admitted that he felt some pain in his left wrist, during the 61-minute disappointment but said he did not think it was a serious matter.
"I need to think about what I need to do to be playing my best tennis by Indian Wells and Miami in March. I started well and then began missing a lot. You need to be very sharp in your movement on this surface."
The world number five will hope to play doubles with his brother Jamie at the tournament which he won in 2009.
Baghdatis, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up, has now beaten Murray on three of four occasions.
"I always try to fight and find a solution to win, Andy played good at the start, I had to break the rhythm, he began making mistakes and lost concentration," said Baghdatis.
"I finished it off and I`m very happy. He could be tired from Melbourne, when I played the final in Australia, I was in bed for a week, it`s tough to come back. I took my chances today, bad luck for him."
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga won an all-French match to book into the quarter-final places as he defeated compatriot Michael Llodra 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Llodra, the 2008 champion, has now lost all three of his matches with 2008 Australian Open finalist Tsonga.
The French winner, who has put together back-to-back wins for the first time in a month, will next play either fourth-seeded Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych or Russian qualifier Dmitry Tursunov.
"It was a tough match," said Tsonga, working to lift a ranking which has sunk to 18th after falling from the Top ten due to inactivity due to injury in the second half of 2010.”
"Mika is one of the best players on this (indoor) surface. I started well but he played better than me in the first set. I was happy to get the win, it was pretty difficult.”
"My two previous wins gave me the confidence going in, but I also played well. In the quarter-finals, I can just play my game. I`ve been getting better with each match this year."
Tsonga is recovering from a bizarre end to his Australian Open campaign, squandering a two-sets-to-one lead against Alexandr Dolgopolov and collapsing in the last two sets against the young Ukrainian in the third round.
Two more Frenchman squared off at the Ahoy complex, with Benoit Paire putting out Gilles Simon 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 in just over 90 minutes. Spain`s Feliciano Lopez beat German Florian Mayer 6-3, 6-4.
Croatian Marin Cilic beat fifth seed Jurgen Melzer 6-2, 6-4 in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo