Murray gets Britain on track in Davis Cup
Glasgow: Andy Murray bounced back from his Wimbledon disappointment on Friday to help Great Britain grab a share of the spoils in the opening singles of their Davis Cup clash with Luxembourg.
World number four Murray, beaten in the semifinals at Wimbledon by Rafael Nadal a week ago, barely broke sweat as he crushed lowly ranked Laurent Bram 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 to level the match at 1-1.
Bram, a 27-year-old club professional, does not have a current world ranking, weighing in at 996th in his most recent appearance in 2006.
But Murray showed no mercy to his hopelessly outclassed opponent, wrapping up a rare triple bagel win in only 52 minutes to square the tie after James Ward had lost to Gilles Muller in the opening rubber.
"It was good fun, it`s nice to be back in Scotland. I`ve not been back for about 18 months and I need to make more of a habit of it. The support I`ve had here has been so nice," Murray said.
"You want to try and win as quickly as you can. (Bram) doesn`t play many tournaments any more so maybe it was tough for him," added Murray, who will partner brother Jamie in Saturday`s doubles.
Murray`s win gives Britain a good chance of scoring the victory they need this weekend to progress from their Europe/Africa Zone Group II encounter into a promotion play-off.
Earlier Ward had started slowly before being downed by Muller 6-3, 7-6 (7/4) 6-1 in the opening rubber.
Ward, a semifinalist at Queens last month, suffered a crucial early break in the opening set from which he never recovered.
Ward then missed a set point to level the rubber before being overwhelmed in the third set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark