Murray hands out backhand swipe at tennis pundits
London: Britain`s best tennis player Andy Murray does not seem to like what the commentators have to say about his game as he strives to win his elusive first Grand Slam title.
The 24-year-old Scot was full of public praise for those leading the TV golf commentary on the Open in Sandwich this weekend, but took a not-so-subtle dig at those who talk about his tennis.
According to a daily, Murray used Twitter to state: "Enjoying listening to the golf commentary, calm, positive, entertaining, insightful and no big egos ... Refreshing".
Amanda Owens, a leading sports psychologist and herself a former British tennis player, said Britain and its media needed to be more positive about its sports personalities.
She hoped Murray would take down his tweet and he needed to listen more to those players who have the experience of winning Grand Slam matches.
She said: "It`s rather revealing as a psychologist. It`s very defensive. I fully believe he will win a Grand Slam, but he needs to toughen up. The British press are harsh and Andy Murray carried that pressure and did incredibly well at Wimbledon. We need to back British players a lot more - we have a culture of bringing people down.”
She added: "I believe he can go much further, and the worrying thing is he needs to be able to break through that mental barrier believing he can win.”
Earlier this month, the BBC apologised after viewer complaints about "over-talking" by its commentary team.
In a statement on its complaints website, the corporation said: "Views on our commentary are, of course, subjective and we do appreciate that over-talking can irritate our audience."
Viewers also logged on to the Points of View website to complain, with an entire thread dedicated to Andrew Castle`s commentary.
One viewer was angered by his "constant negative comments" about defeated semi- finalist Andy Murray, but other viewers said he was "honest" and "called it right" when the Scot lost to Rafael Nadal for the second successive year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days