Murray lacks mental strength: Becker
London: Former Tennis star Boris Becker has said that British No. 1 Andy Murray lacks mental strength to win a Grand Slam title.
Becker’s comments came after Murray’s semi-final defeat against Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon.
“It is about maturity. I think he is a lot stronger than he was but he is not yet mentally strong enough,” Becker was quoted as saying by a dialy.
World number 4, Murray looked as if he carried the weight of the world on his shoulders following his Wimbledon semi-final defeat by Nadal on Friday evening.
“It is acceptable to make a mistake, it is acceptable to lose a set, but it is not acceptable to give the match away. That is what makes it so frustrating,” Becker said.
“I don’t think there is much wrong with Andy’s tennis, he has got the shots, he has got the serve and won the first set. But then he missed one shot that cost him two sets,” he said.
Becker cited the cases of Michael Chang, who took the French title in 1989 when he was 17, and Pete Sampras, the US Open title winner in 1990 at 19.
“Does he want to win, of course he does, but it doesn’t have to be pretty, it doesn’t even have to be great,” Becker said.
“I don’t know if you can ever teach mental strength, it can come from experience, but mostly you’ve either got it or you haven’t. I just hope that Andy can acquire it through his natural maturity,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India