Murray lacks mental strength: Becker
London: Former Tennis star Boris Becker has said that British No. 1 Andy Murray lacks mental strength to win a Grand Slam title.
Becker’s comments came after Murray’s semi-final defeat against Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon.
“It is about maturity. I think he is a lot stronger than he was but he is not yet mentally strong enough,” Becker was quoted as saying by a dialy.
World number 4, Murray looked as if he carried the weight of the world on his shoulders following his Wimbledon semi-final defeat by Nadal on Friday evening.
“It is acceptable to make a mistake, it is acceptable to lose a set, but it is not acceptable to give the match away. That is what makes it so frustrating,” Becker said.
“I don’t think there is much wrong with Andy’s tennis, he has got the shots, he has got the serve and won the first set. But then he missed one shot that cost him two sets,” he said.
Becker cited the cases of Michael Chang, who took the French title in 1989 when he was 17, and Pete Sampras, the US Open title winner in 1990 at 19.
“Does he want to win, of course he does, but it doesn’t have to be pretty, it doesn’t even have to be great,” Becker said.
“I don’t know if you can ever teach mental strength, it can come from experience, but mostly you’ve either got it or you haven’t. I just hope that Andy can acquire it through his natural maturity,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender