Murray, Li win on day of mixed emotions
Paris: Andy Murray saw off a 29-year-old local who had only won one match on the main tour and China`s Li Na toiled through under cloudier skies in the French Open first round on Tuesday.
British fourth seed Murray progressed 6-4 6-1 6-3 but was broken twice by Eric Prodon, who had only made three previous appearances in a grand slam, all at Roland Garros.
Women`s sixth seed Li, who like Murray was runner-up in January`s Australian Open, began with an uninspiring 6-3 6-7 6-3 win over Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova with the early crowds also somewhat lacklustre after a busy and sunny Monday.
In contrast, Maria Sharapova, wearing striking yellow, stormed past Mirjana Lucic 6-3 6-0 to continue her good form.
Murray did not need to produce his best against the slightly rotund Prodon, who broke in the first set with a drop shot after a series of half-hearted attempts.
The Scot found more rhythm in the second but was broken again in the third set as Prodon`s remarkably laidback but occasionally successful volleys and smashes amused the fans.
There was more laughs when it organisers announced that American Ryan Harrison, who threw his racket into a tree when losing in qualifying last week, had won a lucky loser berth and he will play last year`s runner-up Robin Soderling later.
The feelings on Court Philippe Chatrier were completely different as France`s Virginie Razzano, whose coach and fiance died eight days ago after a brain tumour, lost her match to Jarmila Gajdosova 6-3 6-1 to warm and heartfelt applause.
"I had a lot of emotion and pain," she said tearfully.
Number two seed Kim Clijsters returns from injury later against Anastasiya Yakimova.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi