`My priority cricket, not Bharat Ratna`
Mumbai: In midst of all the adulation that’s coming his way for becoming the first-ever batsman to breach the 200 run mark in ODIs, Sachin Tendulkar is pretty grounded and feels that he has a long way to go before he deserves the Bharat Ratna.
Sachin said, “Bharat Ratna is the biggest honour for any citizen of India. There are heroes bigger than me who have got this award, and who would not want to be in that league.”
“It will be a matter of pride if I get Bharat Ratna,” he added.
Sachin also said that currently he is not thinking of any award and only wishes concentrate more on his game. “I don’t want to think about it, I just want to play. If I have to get the award, I will, but I don’t want to think about it,” he said.
There have been voices from all over demanding that the cricketing great be honoured with the Bharat Ratna – country’s highest civilian award.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan was amongst the first to opine that Sachin now deserves to be a Bharat Ratna. His opinion was seconded by the Shiv Sena too.
Many cricketing legends have also come out in favour of the demand.
Describing Sachin as ‘Kohinoor’ of cricket, former captains Kapil Dev and Ajit Wadekar earlier said the milestone man should be conferred Bharat Ratna.
The record of highest International runs (31,041) and centuries (93) already by his name, Tendulkar became the first cricketer in the history of One-day cricket to score a double hundred in Gwalior.
“Sachin is the Kohinoor diamond of the game of cricket. This cricketer has unmatched talent and you can’t find another Tendulkar ever. I think, he should have got the Bharat Ratna,” Wadekar said.
India’s only World Cup winning captain Kapil also supported Wadekar’s view and said Tendulkar very much deserves the honour.
“Sachin has touched several milestones during his 20-year career in the international cricket. He certainly deserves the Bharat Ratna. We will be very happy if he gets the highest honour of the country,” Kapil said.
Kapil, though, said his views would be the same even if Tendulkar had not achieved the rare feat of scoring an ODI double hundred.
“Even if Sachin would have got a duck in this innings, still I would say that he deserves the honour. No decision should be taken on the basis of performance in one match, but I am keeping in mind his overall contribution,” he added.
Another former captain and former selection committee chairman Dilip Vengsarkar echoed the same sentiment.
“If any player deserves the Bharat Ratna, it must be Tendulkar. He must get the award,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday