Mysore riots: Sri Ram Sene chief arrested
Mysore: Police on Friday night arrested Sri Ram Sene chief Pramod Muthalik in Belgaum in connection with July 02 Mysore riots, which claimed three lives.
Muthalik is accused of making inflammatory speeches and inciting violence in Mysore.
The Sri Ram Sene chief will be produced in the Udayagiri police station later in the day.
Meanwhile, Muthalik’s lawyer RD Kulkarni said that he has no knowledge why his client was arrested.
Terming the arrest as unconstitutional, Kulkarni said that he would approach the court soon.
Commenting on the arrest of controversial Hindu leader, Mysore police chief Sunil Agarwal said that he would interrogate him once Muthalik reaches here.
Meanwhile, the city police took one Fayaz, a resident of
Udayagiri locality, into custody for distributing pamphlets
with alleged inflammatory contents.
Muthalik was first arrested by the Belgaum police on
January 27 in connection with a case for distributing
pamphlets with provocative slogans in Davanagere on January 4.
After he was granted bail in the case, a police team from
Manglore re-arrested Muthalik on January 28 in connection with
the attack on a pub.
Muthalik had first got the attention when his party activists attacked a pub in Mangalore and beaten up young women. The group had sparked a debate on pub vs Indian culture.
The incident caused much hue and cry in the state of Karnataka and later court barred Muthalik from entering South Karnataka areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday