N-power access should not be limited to developed world: Amano
Mumbai: Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano on Monday made a pitch for nuclear power access to developing nations, even as he called for uniform responsibility to prevent nuclear proliferation.
"Many countries are considering introducing nuclear power are in the developing world and I welcome this. It should be available to developing countries and they have the same right as developed countries to use nuclear technology for peaceful purposes and the same responsibility both to ensure the highest safety standards and to prevent nuclear materials from falling into the hands of terrorists," he said.
Amano was speaking here after inaugurating the 21st Annual Conference of the Indian Nuclear society on `Impact of Radiation Technology on Human health and Environment.`
Amano said all countries of the world have an equal responsibility to work to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons and access to nuclear power should not be limited to developed nations.
The IAEA expects between 10-25 new countries to bring their first nuclear plant on-line by 2030 and the centre of growth is in Asia. Major expansions in existing nuclear power programmes are planned in India as well as in China, Japan and the Republic of Korea, he said.
"Out of the 61 nuclear reactors under construction, 39 are in Asia," he said.
Amano also said India`s economic dynamism in the past two decades has given hope to many developing countries.
"In the field of peaceful nuclear technology, India`s success was the result of detailed long-term planning and the accumulation of home-grown expertise through high-quality education and training," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced