Nadal leads fab four Wimbledon charge
London: Rafael Nadal leads the fab four of men`s tennis into the Wimbledon quarterfinals on Wednesday with Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Andy Murray determined to snatch the Spaniard`s title.
Top seed and world number one Nadal has shaken off a worrying foot injury he suffered in his fourth round victory over Juan Martin del Potro and has declared himself fit to face Mardy Fish, the only surviving American.
Nadal has beaten Fish five times out of five and victory on Wednesday could set up a semifinal confrontation with fourth seed Murray who is bidding to end Britain`s agonising 75-year wait for a men`s champion.
Murray reached his fourth consecutive Wimbledon quarterfinal with a straight sets dismissal of France`s Richard Gasquet and he will tackle unseeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez, who he has beaten four times in four meetings.
"Lopez beat Andy Roddick, straight sets. He serves very well, has a good slice backhand, plays different than a lot of the Spaniards. He likes coming forward a lot," said Murray.
Lopez has figured widely in the 2011 Murray Wimbledon story with the Scot`s mother Judy dubbing the handsome Spaniard `Deliciano` on Twitter.
The Spanish left-hander, who is appearing in his third quarterfinal, reached the last eight the hard way, coming from two sets to love down to defeat Polish qualifier Lukasz Kubot.
"What can I say about Andy? He`s a great player. He had an easy win, straight sets today, so he must be very confident," said Lopez.
"But I love the grass. I think the conditions are good for my game."
Second seed Novak Djokovic tackles 18-year-old qualifier Bernard Tomic, the world number 158, with the Australian player the youngest quarterfinalist since Boris Becker in 1986.
"He has great potential and believes he can win against the big players," said Djokovic, who has lost just one of his last 48 matches.
Only Becker, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg have made the last eight at a younger age and Tomic is also the first qualifier to reach this stage at Wimbledon since Vladimir Voltchkov in 2000.
Roger Federer, chasing Pete Sampras` record of seven titles at the All England Club and a 17th Grand Slam title, faces France`s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and is seeded to face Djokovic in the semifinals.
Federer, playing in a record 29th consecutive Grand Slam quarterfinal, has a 4-1 record over Tsonga but appreciates the danger of the 12th-seeded Frenchman.
"He`s a great player. He`s proven it on numerous occasions. It`s going to be good tennis," Federer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door