Nadal says must improve for chance at US Open
Mason: World number one Rafa Nadal, searching for his first US Open title, says he has to improve rapidly to have a chance of glory at Flushing Meadows later this month.
Nadal was knocked out of the Cincinnati Masters by Marcos Baghdatis on Friday, the Cypriot winning the quarter-final 6-4 4-6 6-4.
“My game can improve, that’s for sure. It must improve if I really want to have chances to have some opportunity in a week or so in New York,” Nadal told reporters after the loss.
The US Open starts on August 30 and Nadal has already targeted his backhand as his problem area.
“I have one week to keep working, keep practicing hard and that’s what I am going to try -- to keep improving my confidence with the backhand,” he said.
Nadal made 41 unforced errors against Baghdatis, including a surprising 22 on his stronger forehand, but he said that was probably due to him protecting his backhand.
“If my backhand improves all my game will improve,” he said. “My movement is going to improve a lot because I won’t have to cover the backhand with the forehand and so I will cover positions better on the court.
“I will also be able to make my first serve more calmly because if I miss the serve and he has a return then it will be no problem to play with the backhand.
“But, here, when he had a good return to the backhand, I always started the point in a very bad position... So I think the backhand changed all my game, because I had to make too many adjustments to save that shot.
“But I started to play the backhand with more confidence which is a positive for me,” he added.
Nadal was a beaten semi-finalist at the US Open in 2008 and 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory