Nadal to skip Davis Cup, blasts schedule
Madrid: Rafa Nadal will miss Spain`s Davis Cup clash with the United States next month to rest, complaining the tournament risked losing its prestige due to "inconsiderate" scheduling.
"I won`t be there. The priority is to be healthy and I have to stop," the world number one told a sports daily on Monday.
"I can`t be everywhere. After finishing the first part of the season I need to rest. I need 15 to 20 days to be in good shape for the second half of the season.”
"I should have a check-up on my knees, and see how everything is going with the treatment we did, which is what has allowed me to carry on. The idea is to do what I did in 2010 to arrive the same or even better prepared for the US Open."
Nadal, who is defending his Wimbledon title in London at present, went on to criticise the hectic tennis schedule.
"The International Tennis Federation (ITF) continues to get it wrong by insisting with the format and calendar for the Davis Cup," he said.
"There is zero consideration towards us, the players. If the best players don`t attend, the competition loses prestige. The ITF should ask themselves why this happens."
Spain captain Albert Costa is due to name his Davis Cup team later on Monday for the World Group quarter-final to be played in Austin, Texas on July 8-10.
The US Open runs from Aug. 29 to Sept. 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights