Nadal to skip Davis Cup, blasts schedule
Madrid: Rafa Nadal will miss Spain`s Davis Cup clash with the United States next month to rest, complaining the tournament risked losing its prestige due to "inconsiderate" scheduling.
"I won`t be there. The priority is to be healthy and I have to stop," the world number one told a sports daily on Monday.
"I can`t be everywhere. After finishing the first part of the season I need to rest. I need 15 to 20 days to be in good shape for the second half of the season.”
"I should have a check-up on my knees, and see how everything is going with the treatment we did, which is what has allowed me to carry on. The idea is to do what I did in 2010 to arrive the same or even better prepared for the US Open."
Nadal, who is defending his Wimbledon title in London at present, went on to criticise the hectic tennis schedule.
"The International Tennis Federation (ITF) continues to get it wrong by insisting with the format and calendar for the Davis Cup," he said.
"There is zero consideration towards us, the players. If the best players don`t attend, the competition loses prestige. The ITF should ask themselves why this happens."
Spain captain Albert Costa is due to name his Davis Cup team later on Monday for the World Group quarter-final to be played in Austin, Texas on July 8-10.
The US Open runs from Aug. 29 to Sept. 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!