Naga villages not to pay taxes to UGs
Kohima: Village authorities in Nagalands
border district of Kiphire have resolved not to pay illegal
"taxes" to any underground group.
At a meeting chairmen and secretaries of village
councils and Village Development Boards (VDB) respectively of
74 villages unanimously took the decision.
The decision was taken recently after a particular
underground group demanded two per cent of NREGA allocation
from the VDBs, a press release of village authorities`
representatives received here today said.
Besides implementing various centrally sponsored
schemes, VDBs get funds under state governments
communitization of public institutions and services programme.
Gaonburhas (village chiefs), village council chairmen
and VDB secretaries of 74 villages were signatories to the
resolution, the release said.
However, the villages would continue to pay "necessary
taxes" to different underground factions, but not from
development funds under various schemes allotted to village
level statutory bodies like village councils and VDBs, the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India