Naga villages not to pay taxes to UGs
Kohima: Village authorities in Nagalands
border district of Kiphire have resolved not to pay illegal
"taxes" to any underground group.
At a meeting chairmen and secretaries of village
councils and Village Development Boards (VDB) respectively of
74 villages unanimously took the decision.
The decision was taken recently after a particular
underground group demanded two per cent of NREGA allocation
from the VDBs, a press release of village authorities`
representatives received here today said.
Besides implementing various centrally sponsored
schemes, VDBs get funds under state governments
communitization of public institutions and services programme.
Gaonburhas (village chiefs), village council chairmen
and VDB secretaries of 74 villages were signatories to the
resolution, the release said.
However, the villages would continue to pay "necessary
taxes" to different underground factions, but not from
development funds under various schemes allotted to village
level statutory bodies like village councils and VDBs, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers