Nagasaki drops out of Japan`s 2020 bid race
Nagasaki: Nagasaki has abandoned its ambitions to host the 2020 Olympics after the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) rejected a joint bid with Hiroshima.
Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue informed the city`s local assembly of the decision on Friday but offered full cooperation to Hiroshima should the city table a solo bid.
JOC chief Tsunekazu Takeda last month told officials of Hiroshima and Nagasaki -- the only cities to have suffered a nuclear attack -- that co-hosting was not possible.
"While the Olympic charter continues to state one city per (bid) country, the options for an atom-bombed city to stage the Games are obviously limited," Taue told Japanese reporters.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki had planned a joint bid to demonstrate their commitment to abolishing nuclear weapons.
A proposal to have Hiroshima apply and unofficially call it the "Hiroshima-Nagasaki Olympics" also fell flat.
"We remain positive (about an individual bid)," Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba said in a statement. "We will continue to concentrate all of our energies into realising our dream of hosting the 2020 Olympics."
Tokyo, which lost out to Rio de Janeiro in last October`s IOC vote for the 2016 Games, is also in contention to become Japan`s 2020 bid city.
The Japanese capital staged Asia`s first Olympics in 1964 while Hiroshima hosted the 1994 Asian Games.
London will host the 2012 Summer Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race