Nagasaki drops out of Japan`s 2020 bid race

Last Updated: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 15:11

Nagasaki: Nagasaki has abandoned its ambitions to host the 2020 Olympics after the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) rejected a joint bid with Hiroshima.

Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue informed the city`s local assembly of the decision on Friday but offered full cooperation to Hiroshima should the city table a solo bid.
JOC chief Tsunekazu Takeda last month told officials of Hiroshima and Nagasaki -- the only cities to have suffered a nuclear attack -- that co-hosting was not possible.

"While the Olympic charter continues to state one city per (bid) country, the options for an atom-bombed city to stage the Games are obviously limited," Taue told Japanese reporters.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki had planned a joint bid to demonstrate their commitment to abolishing nuclear weapons.

A proposal to have Hiroshima apply and unofficially call it the "Hiroshima-Nagasaki Olympics" also fell flat.

"We remain positive (about an individual bid)," Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba said in a statement. "We will continue to concentrate all of our energies into realising our dream of hosting the 2020 Olympics."
Tokyo, which lost out to Rio de Janeiro in last October`s IOC vote for the 2016 Games, is also in contention to become Japan`s 2020 bid city.

The Japanese capital staged Asia`s first Olympics in 1964 while Hiroshima hosted the 1994 Asian Games.

London will host the 2012 Summer Games.

Bureau Report



First Published: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 15:11

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus