Nanao out of President`s Cup
Baku: India`s Thokchom Nanao Singh (48kg) bowed out of the President`s Cup Boxing tournament after he lost his quarterfinal bout against Luis Miguel Diaz of Dominican Republic.
Representing the Asia One team, the 19-year-old world number eight, who is a former youth world champion, went down 5-8 to Diaz at the Serhedchi Olympic Sport Complex.
Diaz, who is representing Americas Two team in the inter-continental tournament, is a bronze medallist from the same youth tournament where Nanao won a gold last year.
Nanao, an Asian silver medallist, trailed from the very start and was 0-2 down after the first round. He opened his scoring in the second round but the deficit kept piling and Nanao trailed 2-6 at the end of it.
The Indian gave it his all in the final three minutes, landing three scoring punches, but Diaz`s two points in the final round were enough to end the Indian`s campaign.
Tomorrow, the other Indian in the fray, Suranjoy Singh (51kg), who is a reigning Asian champion, will take on Olympic bronze medallist Vincenzo Picardi in his opening bout, which happens to a be a quarterfinal.
The President`s Cup is a unique tournament where confederations from Asia, Africa, Europe, America and Oceania are pitted against each other. Each time a boxer wins a bout, he earns three points for his team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed