Nanao out of President`s Cup
Baku: India`s Thokchom Nanao Singh (48kg) bowed out of the President`s Cup Boxing tournament after he lost his quarterfinal bout against Luis Miguel Diaz of Dominican Republic.
Representing the Asia One team, the 19-year-old world number eight, who is a former youth world champion, went down 5-8 to Diaz at the Serhedchi Olympic Sport Complex.
Diaz, who is representing Americas Two team in the inter-continental tournament, is a bronze medallist from the same youth tournament where Nanao won a gold last year.
Nanao, an Asian silver medallist, trailed from the very start and was 0-2 down after the first round. He opened his scoring in the second round but the deficit kept piling and Nanao trailed 2-6 at the end of it.
The Indian gave it his all in the final three minutes, landing three scoring punches, but Diaz`s two points in the final round were enough to end the Indian`s campaign.
Tomorrow, the other Indian in the fray, Suranjoy Singh (51kg), who is a reigning Asian champion, will take on Olympic bronze medallist Vincenzo Picardi in his opening bout, which happens to a be a quarterfinal.
The President`s Cup is a unique tournament where confederations from Asia, Africa, Europe, America and Oceania are pitted against each other. Each time a boxer wins a bout, he earns three points for his team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE