Narang confirms participation in CWG
New Delhi: Ace Indian shooter Gagan Narang on Tuesday confirmed his participation in the upcoming Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Earlier, Narang was overlooked for the coveted Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, following which the marksman had threatened to skip the mega event in October.
"Well, I am quite disappointed and really don`t know if I have the motivation to continue or even shoot at the Commonwealth Games and I have to take a break at the moment. Yes, I need a break to find a little motivation to continue," Narang had said.
However, with his family and fans throwing their weight
behind him, Gagan decided to take part in the Delhi Games.
"The events of the fortnight were an eye opener for me.
An overwhelming response from well-wishers, family and the
shooting fraternity has moved me. I have made up my mind to
shoot in the coming Commonwealth Games," Narang was quoted as
"There is no short of motivation when you see so many
people support you and they want you to succeed. Doesn`t
matter now if I did or did not get the award. It is a story of
the past for me. I shall start training for the Games
shortly," he added.
Narang had decided to take a break after his bronze medal
winning performance at the recent World Championship in
Munich. But he is back in his elements and will be going to
Pune for a training stint as a preparation plan for the
"I was on a break after coming back from Munich, in this
period I consulted my family, my coaches and the federation
for my future course of actions. The only answer I got from
all of them was shoot to prove a point. Show that you are a
champ! And such events are a true test of character.”
"Although my achievements of the last four years have
been ignored, I have decided to just keep doing my job from
now on, which is to win medals and glory for India," he said.
"I feel winning a medal for my county is even bigger than
any award. If the government feels I deserve any award in
future I will get it but from now on I would never expect it
or will even talk about it.”
"I am planning to undergo mind training sessions with my
mind trainer to focus on the big events ahead," added Narang.
Narang became the first Indian to qualify for the 2012
London Olympics after winning the bronze in the 10 metre air
rifle event in the 50th World Championship in Munich last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical