Narang wins 50m rifle prone title for second gold
Pune: Ace marksman Gagan Narang added the 50m rifle prone position gold to the one he won earlier in the 10m event, while Olympic quota earner Annu Raj Singh grabbed the air pistol crown in the Kumar Surendra Singh Memorial Shooting Championships on Monday.
Air India`s Narang shot a superb 596 out of 600 to lead the qualifying round and then kept himself on target to return with a score of 102.5 in the eight-man final round for a grand tally of 698.5 to grab the title.
Shamsher Singh Bhandari of BSF (593 and 102.3) got the silver, while armyman Sushil Ghaley secured the bronze with a combined score of 694.6 despite outperforming the top two in the finals with an effort of 103.6.
In women`s air pistol, AI`s Annuraj led the clean sweep by Narang`s Gun for Glory academy`s shooters, with a score of 481.3 (384+97.3). Silver was won by Punjab`s Heena Sidhu who shot 480.1 (382+98.1) and bronze went to local girl Rahi Sarnobat (376+98.7=472.7), who has also earned a quota place for the 2012 London Olympics.
In a contest between two seasoned Maharashtra women shooters for the air rifle gold, Suma Shirur, representing the Railways, outscored Anjali Bhagwat for the gold with a tally of 498.3.
Anjali secured the second place with 498.2 and the bronze was grabbed by Narang`s academy student Tejaswini Mule (498.0), also from the host state.
In rapid fire pistol, Vijay Kumar of army won the gold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Congress rushes in defence of 'sidelined' AAP Punjab convener
- Bad time continues for banks; Kingfisher Airlines brands auction fails again
- Punjab seeks CBI probe in shooting of RSS leader
- French PM Manuel Valls praises economy, says growth target in reach
- Judges must not hesitate to give severest punishment to rapists: Court