Narendra Modi dares Congress to declare Ahmed Patel as Gujarat chief ministerial candidate
Ahmedabad: Wading into Congress affairs, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday targeted Ahmed Patel, political secretary to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, saying the party wanted to make him Chief Minister, but had no courage to declare it openly.
Patel had asserted yesterday, in response to Modi`s earlier insinuations, that he was not interested in becoming the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
In his election rallies in the state today, Modi said, "Ahmed Patel has been saying for past two days that he is not interested in becoming CM... What was the need to say this and why come to Gujarat to say this?
"What it means is Congress...And all those who have entered the arena to help Congress win, want to make Ahmed Patel the CM, yet, Congress does not have the courage to tell so to the people."
Two days ago, Modi had said: "Why are they not declaring that they have decided to make Ahmed Patel the Chief Minister? Why all these games behind the scenes? They should declare all these things."
Patel had yesterday issued a statement, saying that he had no such ambition. He had also dubbed Modi`s statement as one made by a "dejected and frustrated" person.
Modi`s attack on Patel is also being seen as an attempt to aggravate internal rumblings in Congress over seat selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa