Narhari Amin may join BJP
Ahmedabad: Congress heavyweight in Gujarat Narhari Amin, who quit Congress after being refused party ticket to contest Assembly polls, may join the state`s ruling BJP, sources said on Wednesday.
Amin, who wields a sizable clout in Patel community, will be a prize catch for BJP, given the challenge it is facing in Saurashtra region where the former chief minister and Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel has come out all-guns-blazing against Narendra Modi government.
Amin resigned from the party yesterday along with his six supporters.
"Another 175 of his supporters have also resigned from primary membership of the party," Amin`s supporter Hitesh Patel said, adding they are in talks with BJP for joining that party but nothing has been finalised so far.
Amin, an influential Patel community leader with a sizable fan following, was not given nomination for the coming assembly polls on the ground that he had lost two consecutive electoral battles.
The former president of Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) held a show of strength two days ago by organising a meeting of his supporters on the outskirts of the city and attacked the Congress high command and PCC leaders for denying tickets to "worthy" candidates.
The meeting was attended by senior Congress leaders of the state besides former city mayor Himmatsinh Patel, Naresh Raval and Rekha Chaudhry among others.
Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla had met sulking Amin on Saturday and there were rumours that the latter was being offered either a BCCI post or a Rajya Sabha berth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm