Narhari Amin may join BJP
Ahmedabad: Congress heavyweight in Gujarat Narhari Amin, who quit Congress after being refused party ticket to contest Assembly polls, may join the state`s ruling BJP, sources said on Wednesday.
Amin, who wields a sizable clout in Patel community, will be a prize catch for BJP, given the challenge it is facing in Saurashtra region where the former chief minister and Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel has come out all-guns-blazing against Narendra Modi government.
Amin resigned from the party yesterday along with his six supporters.
"Another 175 of his supporters have also resigned from primary membership of the party," Amin`s supporter Hitesh Patel said, adding they are in talks with BJP for joining that party but nothing has been finalised so far.
Amin, an influential Patel community leader with a sizable fan following, was not given nomination for the coming assembly polls on the ground that he had lost two consecutive electoral battles.
The former president of Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) held a show of strength two days ago by organising a meeting of his supporters on the outskirts of the city and attacked the Congress high command and PCC leaders for denying tickets to "worthy" candidates.
The meeting was attended by senior Congress leaders of the state besides former city mayor Himmatsinh Patel, Naresh Raval and Rekha Chaudhry among others.
Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla had met sulking Amin on Saturday and there were rumours that the latter was being offered either a BCCI post or a Rajya Sabha berth.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'