NASDAQ marks India`s Independence Day
New York: India`s Consul General in New York presided over NASDAQ`s closing bell ceremony as the stock exchange`s electronic board displayed the
Indian tricolour at Times Square, to mark India`s 63rd Independence Day.
In recognition of India`s emergence as a global economic power, the world`s largest stock exchange invited India`s Consul General Prabhu Dayal to ring the closing bell at the NASDAQ headquarters in mid-town Manhattan.
Terming it as a "very important occasion," Dayal noted that his presence at NASDAQ on the eve of Independence Day emphasized the strong partnership between India and the US.
The Consul General rang the closing bell yesterday at NASDAQ, which lists seven Indian companies with combined market capitalization of $35 billion.
Pointing at a strong Indo-US partnership, he drew attention to the recent successful visit of the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the upcoming State visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Washington.
He said as the largest source of foreign direct and portfolio investments, US was an indispensable partner of India, whose huge markets also offer enormous opportunities for US investors.
Outside the exchange, in the heart of Times Square, an electronic board displayed the Indian flag with the caption "NASDAQ welcomes Ambassador Prabhu Dayal, Consul General of India in New York."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof