NASDAQ marks India`s Independence Day
New York: India`s Consul General in New York presided over NASDAQ`s closing bell ceremony as the stock exchange`s electronic board displayed the
Indian tricolour at Times Square, to mark India`s 63rd Independence Day.
In recognition of India`s emergence as a global economic power, the world`s largest stock exchange invited India`s Consul General Prabhu Dayal to ring the closing bell at the NASDAQ headquarters in mid-town Manhattan.
Terming it as a "very important occasion," Dayal noted that his presence at NASDAQ on the eve of Independence Day emphasized the strong partnership between India and the US.
The Consul General rang the closing bell yesterday at NASDAQ, which lists seven Indian companies with combined market capitalization of $35 billion.
Pointing at a strong Indo-US partnership, he drew attention to the recent successful visit of the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the upcoming State visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Washington.
He said as the largest source of foreign direct and portfolio investments, US was an indispensable partner of India, whose huge markets also offer enormous opportunities for US investors.
Outside the exchange, in the heart of Times Square, an electronic board displayed the Indian flag with the caption "NASDAQ welcomes Ambassador Prabhu Dayal, Consul General of India in New York."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere