NASDAQ marks India`s Independence Day
New York: India`s Consul General in New York presided over NASDAQ`s closing bell ceremony as the stock exchange`s electronic board displayed the
Indian tricolour at Times Square, to mark India`s 63rd Independence Day.
In recognition of India`s emergence as a global economic power, the world`s largest stock exchange invited India`s Consul General Prabhu Dayal to ring the closing bell at the NASDAQ headquarters in mid-town Manhattan.
Terming it as a "very important occasion," Dayal noted that his presence at NASDAQ on the eve of Independence Day emphasized the strong partnership between India and the US.
The Consul General rang the closing bell yesterday at NASDAQ, which lists seven Indian companies with combined market capitalization of $35 billion.
Pointing at a strong Indo-US partnership, he drew attention to the recent successful visit of the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the upcoming State visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Washington.
He said as the largest source of foreign direct and portfolio investments, US was an indispensable partner of India, whose huge markets also offer enormous opportunities for US investors.
Outside the exchange, in the heart of Times Square, an electronic board displayed the Indian flag with the caption "NASDAQ welcomes Ambassador Prabhu Dayal, Consul General of India in New York."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress