National football team improving: Houghton
New Delhi: Sparse international exposure notwithstanding, the Indian football team has improved in the past three years and has become more confident of taking on strong opponents, coach Bob Houghton said.
Addressing a press conference a day before his side`s Nehru Cup opener against Lebanon, Houghton credited the improvement to the few foreign training trips the team got in the last three years.
"We were not winning international tournaments before the 2007 Nehru Cup. I think a lot has changed in the fortunes of the Indian team in the last three years. We have become more confident now to take on stronger opponents," Houghton said.
"In the last three years we got opportunities to train outside the country and I think that has given us the good results and the confidence," he added.
The 61-year-old Englishman said it was not easy and took some time to put together a set of players to work with.
"When I took over (in June 2006) I had to find out the players with whom I had to work. India lost 0-3 to Yemen immediately before I took over and a lot of players had to be changed," he said.
"But after that, I came across players like NP Pradeep, Climax Lawrence, Sunil Chhetri. Then, Bhaichung Bhutia came out of retirement and I got the group of players to work with," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India