National Games: Medal ceremony postponed due to shortage of medals
Ranchi: In another embarrassment of sorts for the organisers of the National Games, the medal ceremony for the table tennis team events could not be held because of insufficient medals.
Announcements were made on official channel but the ceremony -- scheduled at the Thakur Vishwanath Shahdeo Indoor Stadium in Mega Sports Complex -- had to be postponed to February 25 after the organisers informed the bloomer to the competition director V K Bawa.
Bawa said that as per the ITTF protocol, a medal ceremony follows the team finals but it could not be held here for a “silly” reason.
“It’s really a big embarrassment since I had made all the arrangements. All the dignitaries were there to present the medals. But we were told by (S M) Hashmi (Secretary General of the Games) that there was some shortage of bronze medals,” Bawa said.
“I was told that they were bringing the medals from Kolkata and it’s on the way. It really sounds silly as they could have easily brought them in advance,” he said.
He further said that the Table Tennis Federation of India had informed the organisers about the medal requirements and schedule in advance.
In table tennis, a total of seven gold medals are on offer with two (of team events) has already been decided. We had scheduled two medals ceremony on Wednesday. Three (men’s and women’s doubles and mixed doubles) on February 25 and the remaining two (for men’s and women’s singles) on February 26. But now there will be five medal ceremonies on February 25,” Bawa said.
Hashmi, on the other hand, denied of any shortage of medals and said it’s not an issue if the team medals are given along with doubles on February 25.
“There’s no problem at all. In table tennis, one player competes in team, doubles events so it’s okay if we give the medals on February 25. We have told this in advance to the competition director,” Hashmi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail