National Sports Day has become a hockey affair: Gurbux
Kolkata: Former Olympian Gurbux Singh on Saturday lamented that not everybody celebrates the National Sports Day, which is commemorated on the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
“The National Sports Day is not only for hockey but all sports. Everybody, irrespective of their discipline, should join hands and pledge together to do something for the upliftment of sport,” the former Indian hockey captain said on Saturday.
“For us (in hockey) it’s a double celebration but that does not meant other sportpersons in the country should not celebrate the occasion,” Singh, also a secretary of Bengal Hockey Association, said after their annual prize ceremony at Town Hall.
The BHA awarded Belung of BNR club with the Best Hockey Player of 2008-09, while former footballer Tulsidas Balram was given the Lifetime Achievement award to observe the National Sports Day which is 104th birth anniversary of Dhyan Chand.
Eminent sportpersons including Keshav Dutt, Sailen Manna, Chuni Goswami along with state Sports Minister Kanti Ganguly were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Good news! Students can fly cheap on GoAir; carry up to 25 kg of baggage!
- 'Sultan' is Salman Khan's best performance: Randeep Hooda
- Was intimidated by Amit Trivedi: 'Baby Doll' singer Kanika Kapoor
- Summer skincare: Pamper your skin with these natural ingredients!
- Bihar road rage case: Accused Teni Yadav's bail plea rejected