National Sports Day has become a hockey affair: Gurbux
Kolkata: Former Olympian Gurbux Singh on Saturday lamented that not everybody celebrates the National Sports Day, which is commemorated on the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
“The National Sports Day is not only for hockey but all sports. Everybody, irrespective of their discipline, should join hands and pledge together to do something for the upliftment of sport,” the former Indian hockey captain said on Saturday.
“For us (in hockey) it’s a double celebration but that does not meant other sportpersons in the country should not celebrate the occasion,” Singh, also a secretary of Bengal Hockey Association, said after their annual prize ceremony at Town Hall.
The BHA awarded Belung of BNR club with the Best Hockey Player of 2008-09, while former footballer Tulsidas Balram was given the Lifetime Achievement award to observe the National Sports Day which is 104th birth anniversary of Dhyan Chand.
Eminent sportpersons including Keshav Dutt, Sailen Manna, Chuni Goswami along with state Sports Minister Kanti Ganguly were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees