National Sports Day has become a hockey affair: Gurbux
Kolkata: Former Olympian Gurbux Singh on Saturday lamented that not everybody celebrates the National Sports Day, which is commemorated on the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
“The National Sports Day is not only for hockey but all sports. Everybody, irrespective of their discipline, should join hands and pledge together to do something for the upliftment of sport,” the former Indian hockey captain said on Saturday.
“For us (in hockey) it’s a double celebration but that does not meant other sportpersons in the country should not celebrate the occasion,” Singh, also a secretary of Bengal Hockey Association, said after their annual prize ceremony at Town Hall.
The BHA awarded Belung of BNR club with the Best Hockey Player of 2008-09, while former footballer Tulsidas Balram was given the Lifetime Achievement award to observe the National Sports Day which is 104th birth anniversary of Dhyan Chand.
Eminent sportpersons including Keshav Dutt, Sailen Manna, Chuni Goswami along with state Sports Minister Kanti Ganguly were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement