National Sports Day has become a hockey affair: Gurbux
Kolkata: Former Olympian Gurbux Singh on Saturday lamented that not everybody celebrates the National Sports Day, which is commemorated on the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand.
“The National Sports Day is not only for hockey but all sports. Everybody, irrespective of their discipline, should join hands and pledge together to do something for the upliftment of sport,” the former Indian hockey captain said on Saturday.
“For us (in hockey) it’s a double celebration but that does not meant other sportpersons in the country should not celebrate the occasion,” Singh, also a secretary of Bengal Hockey Association, said after their annual prize ceremony at Town Hall.
The BHA awarded Belung of BNR club with the Best Hockey Player of 2008-09, while former footballer Tulsidas Balram was given the Lifetime Achievement award to observe the National Sports Day which is 104th birth anniversary of Dhyan Chand.
Eminent sportpersons including Keshav Dutt, Sailen Manna, Chuni Goswami along with state Sports Minister Kanti Ganguly were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty