NCP retains Bhujbal as Deputy CM
Mumbai: Opting for status quo, Congresss ally
NCP today named Chhagan Bhujbal for the post of Deputy Chief
Minister in Maharashtra and ruled out yielding key portfolios
like Home and Finance to the senior coalition partner.
Both Bhujbal(62) and party leader Praful Patel, who announced the name of the prominent OBC leader to head the
NCP Legislature Party, insisted that a 1999 formula under which it got Home, Finance and Power be the basis for portfolio allocation which is expected to be a ticklish issue.
The NCP`s stand was outlined in the wake of a section of the Congress reportedly keen on securing these key portfolios to reflect the party`s increased strength in the Assembly.
For the record, Bhujbal said the NCP has not received any official proposal from the Congress for portfolio allocation but said NCP would demand implementation of the formula in
1999 when the two parties formed a coalition government.
Patel said the decision to continue with Bhujbal was
"unanimous". It will the third term as deputy CM for Bhujbal
who has come a long way from being a rabble-rouser in his Shiv
Talks on portfolio distribution between Congress and NCP
will be held in New Delhi, Patel said.
Congress won 82 seats and NCP bagged 62 as against 68 and
71 respectively in 2004. In the outgoing government, NCP had
24 ministers while 19 were from the Congress.
Patel made the announcement on Bhujbal after a meeting
of the NCP legislature party here which had authorised NCP
chief Sharad Pawar to decide on the new leader.
Water resources minister Ajit Pawar, a nephew of Sharad
Pawar and who was one of the front-runners for the post, was
among those who seconded the resolution, authorising the NCP
supremo to name the leader of the Legislature Party. Bhujbal
said he had the backing of Ajit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- RBL Bank IPO fully subscribed
- Muslims cannot use cow urine products, rules Darul Uloom
- Bus falls into ditch in Bihar's Nawada, 28 injured
- Pullela Gopichand is good, but we will find a better coach for PV Sindhu: Telangana deputy CM Mohammed Mahmood Ali
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez