NCW expresses concern over high number of rape cases in MP
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh recorded highest
number of rapes in the country during last five years,
according to the National Crime Bureau.
However, as per the figures given by state government, it
stands third in the number of rape cases, Girija Vyas,
Chairperson, National Commission for Women, told reporters
Vyas voiced concern over the high number of rapes in the
state, and lower ratio of convictions in such cases.
She said 2,896 rapes took place in the state in 2007
and the figure came down marginally to 2,117 in 2008.
The Commission has already proposed a number of laws
relating to women, of which some have been enacted, she said.
Vyas said the Commission has now proposed a sexual
assault bill which will cover all other forms of harassment,
including eve teasing, other than rape.
She denied that women sometimes file false cases of rape,
saying no woman would like to earn a bad name in the society.
There was little awareness about the Domestic Violence
Act under which a woman can seek legal redressal for domestic
violence against her, Vyas said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey