NCW wants appeal against ‘meagre’ punishment to Rathore
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women on Wednesday demanded the state government of Haryana to file an appeal against what it called meagre punishment against former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore for molesting 14 year old Ruchika Girhotra back in 1990.
“I have written to the CM of Haryana to appeal in a higher court,” NCW chairperson Girija Vyas said today.
Expressing anguish over the sentence, she said she would set up a committee of advocates to look into the case.
“The committee will submit its report in two months. We will come to know the lacunae of the case and how it can be handled better. It will also provide us insights for our proposed sexual harassment bill that is meant for such cases,” she said.
The Sexual Harassment Bill, she said, is a proposed law to cover for the loopholes in the existing systems. Such cases are a result of these loopholes in the current law, she said. The new law would cover all aspects from definition of sexual harassment and the rehabilitation of the victim.
“Loss of life of Ruchika can never be compensated for but atleast this case can become a symbol for future generations,” she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack