NDMC may levy service charge on embassies
New Delhi: Embassies located in the capital
may now have to pay for a slew of services they have been
enjoying free of cost till now.
The New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has got the
External Affairs Ministry`s nod for levying service charge on
embassies situated in areas under its jurisdiction.
The MEA said the civic body can take service charges from
embassies of countries which were collecting service charges
from Indian embassies there, an NDMC official said.
"This is an ongoing process. The Standing Committee on
Audit had directed us to approach the MEA. The MEA`s protocol
department has sent us a list of countries that take service
charges from our embassies. Based on that, we are now
computing the amount the embassies will have to pay," he said.
After computing, the list will be sent to the MEA for
approval. "The MEA will then communicate the matter to
embassies," the source said.
At present, the embassies pay electricity and water
charges but not for several other services such as road
maintenance, waste collection, street light maintenance and
anti-mosquito fogging. Under international conventions, no
property tax can be charged for embassy buildings.
The embassies may have to pay Rs 10 lakh to Rs 15 lakh a
year on an average, but the actual figure will be only known
after the computing process is completed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly