Neanderthals feasted on lions
Washington: Looks like our ancestors could boast of the proverbial nerves of steel - Neanderthal cavemen hunted and feasted on lions, according to a new Spanish research.
The study appears in the Journal of Archaeological Science.
A team led by Ruth Blasco of the Universitat Rovira i Virgili in Tarragona, Spain, found lion bones at the Gran Dolina site in Sierra de Atapuerca.
The cave contains hundreds of animal bones, largely red deer and horses, but also a few carnivores in rock layers dating to 250,000 to 350,000 years ago.
One set of lion bones stands out among the other carnivores like foxes and bears.
"The relatively high occurrence of cutmarks on lion bones (11.76 percent) indicates an association between hominids (humans) and this predator," says the study, adding, "cutmarks related to the skinning and defleshing are identified and the human use of bone marrow is documented by diagnostic elements of anthropogenic (man-made) breakage. All these evidences suggest that the lion was used for food," reports USA Today.
The study also suggests cave diners hunted the lion, Panthera leo fossilis, a cave lion about seven feet long, considerably bigger than today``s African lions.
"The fact that no pathologies have been documented on the P. leo fossilis remains, which indicate possible diseases or injuries of a traumatic nature that make this predator vulnerable," suggests that they hunted the big cat.
Even though early humans didn``t hunt lions often, they likely resided higher than the cats on the food chain, the team says, concluding, "the hunting of this predator suggests that the hominids of the Middle Pleistocene are successful hunters able to face the large predators."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference