Neanderthals may`ve had proper language
London: Our distant cousins, the Neanderthals, were mostly right-handed and they may have had a proper language too, says a new study.
An international team, led by University of Kansas, has carried out the study and found the dominance of right- handedness around the world may date back to 500,000 years
ago, the `Live Science` reported.
The trait of right-handedness is commonly believed to be a sign of the development of another uniquely human trait -- language.
"We are right-handed because the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and the left side of brain is where language is processed. This is important because it tells us that they were brain lateralised just like we are, and they probably had a language capacity," David Frayer, who led the study, said.
Previous studies of ancient humans have shown evidence of handedness in tools, cave art, and bones. Now, researchers claim to have found evidence of ancient humans` handedness in
the oddest of places -- front teeth.
Scratch marks can be used to determine if ancient humans, living more than 500,000 years ago, used their right or left hands to process animal hides. During processing, they would stretch the hide by holding one side with one of their hands and the other in their mouth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing