Need to assess Dubai before reacting: RBI
Hyderabad: The governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Friday said an assessment of the impact of Dubai`s debt problems was needed before deciding on a response.
"We should not react to instant news like this. One lesson of the crisis is that we must study the developments, and I think we must measure the extent of the problem there and how it impacts India," Duvvri Subbarao told reporters in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad.
"I have requested my officials to study this, and if necessary we will certainly communicate in the public about what the implications likely are," he added.
Indian stocks tumbled on Friday, the rupee weakened and bond yields fell as Dubai`s debt problems sparked concerns about corporate exposure and the risk of foreign investors repatriating funds.
Dubai said on Wednesday it wanted creditors of Dubai World and property group Nakheel to agree a debt standstill as it restructures Dubai World, the conglomerate that spearheaded the emirate`s breakneck growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra