Neha pips Aditi in tense play-off at Hero-KGA golf
Bengaluru: Neha Tripathi of Kolkata kept her nerve to win a tense battle over amateur Aditi Ashok for the Hero KGA Championships in the opening leg of the Hero Women`s Professional Golf Tour.
Neha, who shot a superb 69 on the final day, caught up with the leader of first two rounds, Aditi, as both golfers totalled 218 for three rounds at the par-72 KGA Golf Course on Friday.
Neha birdied the 18th on the fifth play-off hole to take the title.
Seasoned Smriti Mehra produced the best round of the week at 68, but fell one short of getting into the play-off. She finished tied third with Sharmila Nicollet (70).
With Aditi still an amateur, Neha topped the pro standings and Smriti and Sharmila shared the second place.
"It was very tense. In fact I bogeyed the 18th in regulation play as I went into the water, but I came out with a good bogey," said the 19-year-old Neha, a final year student of St. Xavier`s College in Kolkata.
"I had to wait for about 15 minutes or so to see what happened next. Then came the play-off as Aditi also finished two-over 218," she added.
Thirteen-year-old Aditi came to the 17th tee with a two-shot lead but she had a bogey-bogey finish and ended in a play-off where she lost out.
Neha and Aditi parred the 18th four times in the first four play-off holes.
"I had a four-footer in the first play-off hole, but I missed. Finally on fifth attempt I birdied and Aditi managed a par," said Neha.
"It was almost crazy playing the same hole six times (including once in regulation round) in a row but I tried to maintain my composure."
Neha needed just 23 putts on the final day for her 69 which had five birdies and two bogeys.
"I had three (birdies) in a row from 10th to 12th and I really practiced putting last evening after having 34 putts in second round," she said.
"I was playing with Simi (Mehra) and I just wanted to make sure I stayed focussed and did well."
This was Neha`s second win on the Hero Women`s Pro Golf Tour.
Aditi Ashok, one of the most promising young amateurs in Indian golf, can take heart from a great performance and she was the top amateur at 218 and with rounds of 70, 76 and 72 she can look forward to even greater performances.
Saaniya Sharma, playing with Aditi in the final group, was in contention after two rounds. But she faltered on the final day with an 84 and ended fifth at 231, while Meghna Bal, who is playing her first year as a pro, shot 70 in the final round for a total of 223 and finished fourth.
Ankita Tiwana and Nalini Singh Siwach tied for sixth place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared