Netherlands, S.Korea in Champions` Trophy final
Amsterdam: Netherlands defeated South Korea 2-0 in the semi-final pool at the women`s Champions Trophy field hockey on Saturday, denying Argentina, world champions and defending titleholders, a place in Sunday`s final.
Argentina finished the semi-final pool level on four points with South Korea but miss out as the Koreans scored more goals and had a better goal difference.
Kim Lammers scored in the first seconds of play, taking a long pass from the backfield and carrying possession unchallenged into the circle to shoot past Korean goalkeeper Moon Young-hui.
South Korea defeated both penalty corners from the Netherlands by running down the powerful flick of Maartje Paumen.
Lidewij Welten scored Holland`s second field goal late in the first half, making the rebound off Moon`s pads from Marilyn Agliotti`s hard work to carry possession out of the backfield and shoot from the right.
Korea earned three penalty corners for one clean shot on goal, saved by Joyce Sombroek, Netherlands goalkeeper.
Max Caldas, Netherlands coach, was delighted with his team`s quick start.
"We had a great flying start with a goal in the first seconds and I am happy with the good win," Caldas said.
"Korea got the upper hand late in the first half and we lost a lot of one-one-one duels," Caldas said.
"Tomorrow`s game against Korea will be different because we are playing the first prize so it will be a different style of game," Caldas added.
Lim Jung-woo, Korea coach agreed with Caldas` assessment.
"Today we were making sure we played in the final but the game on Sunday will be a different game as it is a final and we want to win," Lim said.
Earlier Argentina defeated New Zealand 3-2.
Sunday sees a repeat of all the matches from Friday and Saturday.
Germany play China for seventh place, England and Australia playoff for fifth position, Argentina and New Zealand play for bronze and Netherlands and South Korea play for the gold medal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest