New BMW 5 series limousine weighs in
Munich: Sleek, stylish and more upmarket. The sixth generation of BMWs mid-range 5 Series luxury saloon looks and feels a lot like its more expensive 7 series brother.
The car, which was unveiled at the sports stadium in Munich where the city hopes to host the 2018 Olympic Games, is crucial to the Bavarian maker which has seen sales dented by the global recession.
It will enter the showrooms in Germany from next March after making its official debut at the Geneva car show. In most markets the car will be competing head-on with Mercedes` E class saloon. The 5 series has been in production in various incarnations since 1972.
The sporty new 5 is clearly intended to look and feel like the 7 which means it has grown a few inches in length in all directions and has gained the 7 series grille treatment which is also common to the entry level 3. BMW says the 5-Series saloon "mixes the agility of the 3-Series with the supremacy of the 7-Series".
The creased bonnet and larger version of the signature double kidney grille give the car a purposeful look and with its curvier lines the new 5 scores much higher in the elegance stakes than its predecessor whose styling polarised the pundits.
The car is heavier than the outgoing model but the 5 presents a lithe profile which disguises the extra weight. Technical innovations include double-wishbone front suspension and revamped rear suspension using BMW`s Integral-V system. Four engine options are offered initially, including a six-cylinder turbo-diesel. The 5 comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox.
The 520d is the most fuel efficient version and can accelerate from 0-62mph in 8.1 seconds. It emits 132g/km of CO2. The most powerful of the range is the petrol-driven 550i with a power rating of 407 bhp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt