New coach will establish mechanism: Pargat
Chandigarh: Former India captain Pargat Singh hailed the appointment of Australian Olympian Michael Jack Nobbs as the new coach of the Indian hockey team and said he will establish a coaching mechanism in the country that was earlier lacking.
"Nobbs has got a five year contract. He will establish a coaching mechanism and coaches from around the country will be part and parcel of the set up. We will have a system in place, under which best coaches will be picked up for the national teams and likewise other coaches will go to the state and club teams," Pargat told reporters.
Nobbs bagged the post that has been left vacant since the exit of Jose Brasa. He has been appointed till 2016.
"The new coach will have enough time to revive the sport. It is the long term planning and association which will help the team and also give the coach time to settle down," he said.
"Execution of plans is a key thing and Nobbs has that quality to do it well," he said.
Pargat lamented that lessons had not been learnt despite India`s failure to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
"We did not qualify and what is even sadder is that we did not learn the lessons from that. We are in the habit of pressing panic button and running here and there when crucial time arises. However, now I hope things will change," he said.
The other frontrunners for the coach`s posts were twice Olympic and world champion Jacques Brinkman and Roelant Oltmans from the Netherlands.
"I hope turnaround of our hockey will start now," Pargat added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP