New cultural centres to mark Tagore`s 150th birth anniversary
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday said as part of the commemoration of Tagore`s 150th birth anniversary, the central government will facilitate setting up of new cultural complexes in different parts of the
The centre has revamped the Multipurpose Cultural Complexes (MPCCs) scheme and renamed it as Tagore Cultural Complexes Scheme, he said at a function organised here to launch the 150th anniversary commemoration of Nobel laureate
"Establishments of new cultural complexes of varying scales, in big and small towns will thereby be facilitated," he said.
Besides, upgradation, modernisation and modification of the cultural complexes of the existing Rabindra Bhawans, the cultural centres set up during the centenary celebrations of Tagore in 1961 will also be supported, Mukherjee said.
"The central government`s support will be upto 60 percent of the project cost," Mukherjee said.
He said Ministry of Culture has received several proposals from state governments, which will "now be fast-tracked under this scheme for Tagore Culture Complexes".
The Ministry of Culture was operating (during 1992-2007) the MPCCs scheme to support state-sponsored bodies in setting up integrated complexes fostering activities like music, dance, drama and fine arts.
About 50 MPCCs were sanctioned in different parts of the country, with central assistance ranging from Rs 1 crore to Rs 2.5 crore per project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video