New dinosaur species found in China
Beijing: Chinese scientists have found a new species of giant theropod dinosaur in the eastern province of Shandong.
The new species, described as a close relative of
Tyrannosaurus rex (T Rex), has been named "Zhuchengtyrannus
Paleontological experts found it has unique upper
jawbones after examining the skull and jawbones discovered in
the city of Zhucheng.
It was estimated to be about 11 meters long and 4
meters tall, weighing close to 7 tonnes.
"We discovered two kinds of tyrannosaurus fossils here
and the identity of the other one still remains unclear," Xu
Xing, a researcher at the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology
and Paleoanthropology under the Chinese Academy of Sciences
told Xinhua news agency.
"We`ve named the new genus Zhuchengtyrannus magnus,
which means the `Tyrant from Zhucheng` because the bones were
found in Zhucheng," Xu said.
"The bones were a few centimeters smaller than the
similar bones in the largest T Rex specimen, so there was no
doubt that Zhuchengtyrannus was a huge tyrannosaur," Xu said.
According to Xu, Zhuchengtyrannus magnus belonged to a
specialised group of gigantic theropods called tyrannosaurines which existed in North America and eastern Asia during the late Cretaceous period that dated back about 65 to 99 million years.
All tyrannosaurs were carnivorous, bipedal animals
that generally had small arms and large skulls.
Among the tyrannosaurs, the tyrannosaurines were the
largest and characterised by having just two fingers on each
hand and large powerful jaws to deliver a bone crushing bite.
They were likely both predators and scavengers. The fossil quarry in Zhucheng contains one of the
largest concentrations of dinosaur bones in the world.
At least 10 dinosaur species, including Tyrannosaurus
and Hadrosaurs, have been found in three rounds of excavations
since the 1960s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared