New record by Sejwal, Indians bag four golds
Mirpur: Olympian Sandeep Sejwal improved meet
record in the 100m breaststroke as Indians further swelled
their medal tally by adding four gold, one silver and a bronze
on third day of the aquatics events at the 11th South Asian
Games here today.
After today`s events at the National Swimming Complex,
India now have a total of 20 aquatics medals -- 12 gold, six
silver and two bronze -- in their kitty.
Sejwal, who had earlier bettered the 200m breaststroke
record, today clocked 1:05.01 to finish the 100m breaststroke
competition and shattered the previous one of 1:07.73.
Sejwal was followed by compatriot Puneet Rana (1:06.74),
while Local lad Mohammad Kamal Hossain (1:07.32) took away the
Balkrishnan Melkote Badrinath timed 27.63 to clinch gold
in 50m backstroke, while compatriot Rohit Havaldar (28.35)
bagged the bronze. Sri Lanka`s Heshan Bandara Unamboowe
(27.93) claimed the silver.
India`s third gold came in 100m butterfly event when
Arjun Muralidharan (56.86) finished way ahead of Sri Lankan
Conrad Anthony Francis (58.44). Local lad Mohammad Jewel Ahmed
Sr (58.54) pocketed the bronze medal. In women`s 50m backstroke, Fariha Zaman clocked 33.00 en
route to the gold medal as Sri Lanka`s Walakanda Kankanamge
(34.56) and Pakistan`s Kiran Khan (34.89) bagged the silver
and bronze, respectively.
Indians, however, returned empty handed in the women`s
100m breaststroke, which was won by Sri Lankan Minak Sashmini
Natasha Karunarathne (1:18.60).
Bangladesh bagged both the silver and bronze through
Mahafuza Khatun (1:18.76) and Doli Akhter (1:19.39),
India`s Gauri Desai managed a fourth place finish with a
timing of 1:20.24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video