New record by Sejwal, Indians bag four golds
Mirpur: Olympian Sandeep Sejwal improved meet
record in the 100m breaststroke as Indians further swelled
their medal tally by adding four gold, one silver and a bronze
on third day of the aquatics events at the 11th South Asian
Games here today.
After today`s events at the National Swimming Complex,
India now have a total of 20 aquatics medals -- 12 gold, six
silver and two bronze -- in their kitty.
Sejwal, who had earlier bettered the 200m breaststroke
record, today clocked 1:05.01 to finish the 100m breaststroke
competition and shattered the previous one of 1:07.73.
Sejwal was followed by compatriot Puneet Rana (1:06.74),
while Local lad Mohammad Kamal Hossain (1:07.32) took away the
Balkrishnan Melkote Badrinath timed 27.63 to clinch gold
in 50m backstroke, while compatriot Rohit Havaldar (28.35)
bagged the bronze. Sri Lanka`s Heshan Bandara Unamboowe
(27.93) claimed the silver.
India`s third gold came in 100m butterfly event when
Arjun Muralidharan (56.86) finished way ahead of Sri Lankan
Conrad Anthony Francis (58.44). Local lad Mohammad Jewel Ahmed
Sr (58.54) pocketed the bronze medal. In women`s 50m backstroke, Fariha Zaman clocked 33.00 en
route to the gold medal as Sri Lanka`s Walakanda Kankanamge
(34.56) and Pakistan`s Kiran Khan (34.89) bagged the silver
and bronze, respectively.
Indians, however, returned empty handed in the women`s
100m breaststroke, which was won by Sri Lankan Minak Sashmini
Natasha Karunarathne (1:18.60).
Bangladesh bagged both the silver and bronze through
Mahafuza Khatun (1:18.76) and Doli Akhter (1:19.39),
India`s Gauri Desai managed a fourth place finish with a
timing of 1:20.24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital