New tests snub ‘God particle’ discovery claims
London: Tests recently conducted using a separate experiment called DZero has not been able to corroborate the findings claiming the discovery of a sub atomic particle.
Earlier, the researchers working on the CDF experiment at the US Tevatron ‘atom smasher’ had announced that they had detected signs of an unanticipated particle.
Scientists believe that a confirmation of the earlier findings would have heralded one of the most radical changes to physics in years.
A team of scientists from both Tevatron experiments will now have to ‘compare notes’ with the aim of reaching a consensus.
"We looked at the data-set that CDF originally published. We inject a signal in our simulation, which looks like what we would have observed if CDF had seen the real thing,” BBC News quoted Prof. Stefan Soldner-Rembold, spokesperson for the DZero collaboration as saying.
"We analysed the data accordingly and, as observed, there is no enhancement. We can exclude something like what CDF observed to a relatively high probability," he added.
Sharing Rembold’s disappointment, Dr Giovanni Punzi, co-spokesperson for the CDF collaboration at Fermilab said, "it has taken a step forward and a step back. But [DZero] has used only half of the data we currently have. So they are now showing a result with our old sample size."
The study findings will be published in a paper on the Arxiv repository.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!