New York Mayor and Star Bucks CEO endorse Obama
Washington: In a surprise development, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has endorsed US President Barack Obama for his re-election.
Obama is pitched against Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, for the November 06 elections; which according to political analysts is a very close race.
In such a scenario, an endorsement of the powerful Mayor of New York City could add to his advantage.
In his endorsement, Bloomberg cited Obama`s view and stance on climate change as one of the key reasons for his decisions.
"Our climate is changing. And while the increase in extreme weather we have experienced in New York City and around the world may or may not be the result of it, the risk that it might be -- given this week`s devastation -- should compel all elected leaders to take immediate action," he said.
"But we can`t do it alone. We need leadership from the White House -- and over the past four years, President Barack Obama has taken major steps to reduce our carbon consumption, including setting higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars and trucks," he added.
Obama, in a statement, said he is honoured to have Bloomberg`s endorsement.
"I deeply respect him for his leadership in business, philanthropy and government, and appreciate the extraordinary job he`s doing right now, leading New York City through these difficult days," he said.
Soon thereafter, Obama also bagged the endorsement of the Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, who noted that President`s "significant leadership" on the economy and world affairs are reasons for his decisions.
"The President always had my vote. What I wanted from the President was an ability to work closely with the Republican Congress to be able to get things done," Schwartz told CNBC in an interview.
"I think he has shown significant leadership, the kind of stewardship of the economy in the country and world affairs that he deserves to be re-elected," Schwartz added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion