New York Mayor and Star Bucks CEO endorse Obama
Washington: In a surprise development, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has endorsed US President Barack Obama for his re-election.
Obama is pitched against Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, for the November 06 elections; which according to political analysts is a very close race.
In such a scenario, an endorsement of the powerful Mayor of New York City could add to his advantage.
In his endorsement, Bloomberg cited Obama`s view and stance on climate change as one of the key reasons for his decisions.
"Our climate is changing. And while the increase in extreme weather we have experienced in New York City and around the world may or may not be the result of it, the risk that it might be -- given this week`s devastation -- should compel all elected leaders to take immediate action," he said.
"But we can`t do it alone. We need leadership from the White House -- and over the past four years, President Barack Obama has taken major steps to reduce our carbon consumption, including setting higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars and trucks," he added.
Obama, in a statement, said he is honoured to have Bloomberg`s endorsement.
"I deeply respect him for his leadership in business, philanthropy and government, and appreciate the extraordinary job he`s doing right now, leading New York City through these difficult days," he said.
Soon thereafter, Obama also bagged the endorsement of the Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, who noted that President`s "significant leadership" on the economy and world affairs are reasons for his decisions.
"The President always had my vote. What I wanted from the President was an ability to work closely with the Republican Congress to be able to get things done," Schwartz told CNBC in an interview.
"I think he has shown significant leadership, the kind of stewardship of the economy in the country and world affairs that he deserves to be re-elected," Schwartz added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly