New York Mayor and Star Bucks CEO endorse Obama
Washington: In a surprise development, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has endorsed US President Barack Obama for his re-election.
Obama is pitched against Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, for the November 06 elections; which according to political analysts is a very close race.
In such a scenario, an endorsement of the powerful Mayor of New York City could add to his advantage.
In his endorsement, Bloomberg cited Obama`s view and stance on climate change as one of the key reasons for his decisions.
"Our climate is changing. And while the increase in extreme weather we have experienced in New York City and around the world may or may not be the result of it, the risk that it might be -- given this week`s devastation -- should compel all elected leaders to take immediate action," he said.
"But we can`t do it alone. We need leadership from the White House -- and over the past four years, President Barack Obama has taken major steps to reduce our carbon consumption, including setting higher fuel-efficiency standards for cars and trucks," he added.
Obama, in a statement, said he is honoured to have Bloomberg`s endorsement.
"I deeply respect him for his leadership in business, philanthropy and government, and appreciate the extraordinary job he`s doing right now, leading New York City through these difficult days," he said.
Soon thereafter, Obama also bagged the endorsement of the Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, who noted that President`s "significant leadership" on the economy and world affairs are reasons for his decisions.
"The President always had my vote. What I wanted from the President was an ability to work closely with the Republican Congress to be able to get things done," Schwartz told CNBC in an interview.
"I think he has shown significant leadership, the kind of stewardship of the economy in the country and world affairs that he deserves to be re-elected," Schwartz added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read